HP resells QLogic edge switches; is Cisco relationship cooling?
Cisco is still an HP partner, but some say tensions between the firms may be growing
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard Co. today disclosed that it has begun selling stackable QLogic Corp.-developed 8Gbit/sec Fibre Channel switches that are targeted for use at remote offices and corporate departments.
The QLogic switches have 20 8Gbit/sec Fibre Channel ports and can be stacked in groups of up to six to create a high-end offering with 120 8Gbit/sec Fibre Channel ports along with up to 24 20Gbit/sec interswitch link ports.
At least one industry observer believes that HP's decision to sign a deal with QLogic indicates that tensions are rising between HP and another key partner, Cisco Systems Inc. Dave Vellante, co-founder and principal contributor to Wikibon.org, an online, Wiki-based community of storage practitioners, consultants and researchers, notes that Cisco recently started competing with systems vendors like HP by coming out with its own server offering.
"HP is taking the high road saying whatever the customer wants they'll deliver. My take is HP is really saying 'screw you, Cisco' behind closed doors," Vellante said.
Additionally, one industry source said that HP's StorageWorks division may have eliminated Cisco Relationship Manager positions. Charles Vallhonrat, product marketing manager for HP's StorageWorks Division, said he did not know if that was true.
"We have a long history of partnering. We've had QLogic switches in the product line for a couple years now. This is adding additional capabilities to our portfolio," Vallhonrat said. "We do still partner with Brocade and Cisco."
Rumors are also circulating on the Web that Cisco no longer counts HP as a certified reseller partner.
Keith Goodwin, senior vice president of Cisco's Worldwide Partner Organization, said in a Webcast that Cisco will not renew its systems integrator contract with HP when it expires on April 30, meaning HP will no longer be a certified channel or global service alliance partner.
"We're taking this action to be transparent to both partners and customers. We will compete with HP for future business," Goodwin said.
Goodwin said Cisco will honor HP customer service contracts their duration and the company will continue to work with HP "where our customers expect it and where it makes sense for our business."
"This whole thing is very interesting to me because Cisco has grown so large and dominant that it is able to dictate certain terms, but HP is such a powerhouse [that] they're saying - you know what, we're HP and we don't need to bow to anyone," Vellante said.
HP said today it is now reselling QLogic's 5800V and 5802V Series 8Gbit/sec FC switches, which it is branding HP StorageWorks SN6000 Stackable 8Gb FC Switches, as part of its scalable SAN solutions.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Enables Continuous Operation for Swiss Power Plant Read how Vblock™ Systems, running in active-active mode, enabled KKL to transform its twin data centers in just two months, enable continuous operations,...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts