Oracle making new push into social services software
An Oracle webcast showcasing an upcoming social services application is scheduled for March 3. In a sign of the new product's strategic significance, Oracle President Charles Phillips will be presenting along with Anthony Lye, senior vice president of CRM (customer relationship management).
Social services software falls under the rubric of "case management" applications, which help agencies administer programs such as worker's compensation, food stamps, children's services and unemployment benefits.
"Case management is a big market," said Ray Wang, partner with the analyst firm Altimeter Group, via e-mail. "Oracle's going after the best-of-breed vendors such as Cúram, who's made good inroads in North America. Cúram has typically partnered with IBM and SAP." Oracle and Hewlett-Packard are also listed as Cúram partners.
"There's a lot of opportunity for state and local governments to invest in these solutions," Wang added. "While fraud prevention is a main factor, the other one is being more efficient with government spending and delivery of key social programs."
Oracle's upcoming product launch is just its latest attempt at dominating the market, as it has sold case management suites since at least 2004.
It has bolstered its portfolio through acquisitions as well. In 2008, Oracle purchased Haley, maker of software that social services agencies and other industries can use to embed legislation and policies as automated rules within applications.
Oracle also made a deal in January with consulting firm Accenture that will see the companies work on specialized case management packages, such as one Accenture has developed for child welfare agencies.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts