Oracle making new push into social services software
An Oracle webcast showcasing an upcoming social services application is scheduled for March 3. In a sign of the new product's strategic significance, Oracle President Charles Phillips will be presenting along with Anthony Lye, senior vice president of CRM (customer relationship management).
Social services software falls under the rubric of "case management" applications, which help agencies administer programs such as worker's compensation, food stamps, children's services and unemployment benefits.
"Case management is a big market," said Ray Wang, partner with the analyst firm Altimeter Group, via e-mail. "Oracle's going after the best-of-breed vendors such as Cúram, who's made good inroads in North America. Cúram has typically partnered with IBM and SAP." Oracle and Hewlett-Packard are also listed as Cúram partners.
"There's a lot of opportunity for state and local governments to invest in these solutions," Wang added. "While fraud prevention is a main factor, the other one is being more efficient with government spending and delivery of key social programs."
Oracle's upcoming product launch is just its latest attempt at dominating the market, as it has sold case management suites since at least 2004.
It has bolstered its portfolio through acquisitions as well. In 2008, Oracle purchased Haley, maker of software that social services agencies and other industries can use to embed legislation and policies as automated rules within applications.
Oracle also made a deal in January with consulting firm Accenture that will see the companies work on specialized case management packages, such as one Accenture has developed for child welfare agencies.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts