Gaming company Zynga sets up India development center
IDG News Service - Gaming company Zynga -- behind the popular Facebook app FarmVille -- has set up a new development center in Bangalore that will focus on developing the infrastructure required to support its growing number of users.
The new center will hire about 100 computer engineers and scientists in the first year, who will also be working on developing games, said Shan Kadavil, the company's country manager for India, on Wednesday. In the U.S., Zynga has facilities in San Francisco, Los Angeles and Baltimore.
Zynga has over 235 million monthly active users playing its games on social networks such as Facebook, said Colleen McCreary, a Zynga vice president. FarmVille, for example, has more than 75 million monthly active users.
Monthly active users are the number of unique users that play a game once or more in a month, Kadavil said.
As the number of users has increased, Zynga transfers 2 petabytes of data daily across its various games, said Cadir Lee, the company's CTO. Zynga, which uses cloud computing extensively, needs to develop the infrastructure required to support the new users, he added. The Bangalore center will also develop and localize games for different languages.
Zynga will not develop games targeted only at a specific country but instead ones that have broad worldwide appeal, Lee said.
By setting up an operation in India, Zynga also plans to target Indian users, Kadavil said. The company does not disclose the number of users it has in each country.
Zynga's revenue comes from the 3 to 5 percent of its active users who purchase "virtual goods" while playing the games, Lee said. The company has explored using advertising as a revenue stream, but finds virtual goods more profitable, he said.
"We believe that virtual goods will drive Web 3.0 revenue, just as advertising did for Web 2.0," Lee said.
Zynga is already profitable, Lee said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more