IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has updated its records management software so it can now capture for legal posterity Microsoft SharePoint files and even entire SharePoint workspaces, the company announced.
The newly released version 7 of HP Trim comes with two optional modules that capture SharePoint activity, one for records management and the other for archiving purposes, said Patrick Eitenbichler, a director of worldwide product marketing for HP's software and solutions division.
With archiving, material is copied or moved to a separate location for operational reasons, such as for backup and recovery purposes or performance improvement. With records management, material is saved for a specified period of time as unalterable documents, to comply with institutional or governmental mandates.
For administrators, SharePoint has represented a new challenge in both of these fronts. Microsoft has sold more than a million licenses for SharePoint Server and considers the collaboration platform to be one of the fastest-growing products in its server portfolio, in terms of sales, according to a Microsoft spokeswoman.
In fact, SharePoint usage is reputedly so widespread that HP has found that a sizeable portion of its customers are running out of storage space or processor cycles to maintain all these instances, Eitenbichler said. Administrators also worry about the legal risks associated with deleting this material, some of which should be saved as official records, he added.
Trim could capture SharePoint records prior to version 7, but it was limited to manual entry and could capture only documents, Eitenbichler said. Now, administrators can set up policies for automatic retention of all types of SharePoint-generated content, including blog entries, blog comments, calendar entries and workflow events.
"Trim is hooked into the [Windows] object model, so it knows anytime a change happens on a SharePoint Server," he said.
The records administrator can pick what types of content are to be preserved as records and what the retention policies should be for them. Any sort of SharePoint metadata, usually filled in by the user, can be used as a hook for identifying some material as records. Once something is declared a record, it cannot be altered in any way. Also, the entire SharePoint workspace can be captured and preserved.
The software supports both Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and the upcoming SharePoint Server 2010.
Besides the SharePoint support, other new features for Trim include a Web client that mimics all the features of the desktop client, the ability to work natively on 64-bit servers, improved integration with the Microsoft .Net framework, a speedier and more robust search engine and double-byte Unicode support for additional languages, Eitenbichler said.
HP also announced that the U.S. Department of Defense certified Trim version 7 suitable for official records-management use by the U.S. services, under the version 3 standard of DoD policy 5015.2-STD.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts