IDG News Service - Micron Technology has agreed to acquire flash memory maker Numonyx, adding NOR flash chips -- a memory type commonly found in mobile phones and MP3 players -- to its product lineup and expanding its manufacturing capacity
The all-stock offer to acquire Numonyx is worth US$1.27 billion, Micron said. Numonyx is jointly owned by Intel, STMicroelectronics and Francisco Partners, a private equity firm.
The Numonyx acquisition expands Micron's memory range with the addition of NOR flash chips . Micron's current product line includes DRAM and NAND flash chips, which are found in removable memory cards and solid-state drives, as well as mobile devices.
NAND flash memory and NOR flash memory are both non-volatile types of memory, which means they don't lose stored data when power is turned off. But the two memory types have different strengths, making them suitable for different applications. NOR chips have faster read capabilities, making them suitable for storing software code, while NAND chips, which offer faster write/erase capabilities and smaller memory cells, are better suited for storing large amounts of data, such as pictures or music.
Besides NOR flash, the acquisition also gives Micron access to Numonyx's phase-change memory technology. Phase-change memory is an emerging memory type that's currently under development and seen as a possible replacement for flash chips.
Micron expects to close the deal within three to six months.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts