IDG News Service - Micron Technology has agreed to acquire flash memory maker Numonyx, adding NOR flash chips -- a memory type commonly found in mobile phones and MP3 players -- to its product lineup and expanding its manufacturing capacity
The all-stock offer to acquire Numonyx is worth US$1.27 billion, Micron said. Numonyx is jointly owned by Intel, STMicroelectronics and Francisco Partners, a private equity firm.
The Numonyx acquisition expands Micron's memory range with the addition of NOR flash chips . Micron's current product line includes DRAM and NAND flash chips, which are found in removable memory cards and solid-state drives, as well as mobile devices.
NAND flash memory and NOR flash memory are both non-volatile types of memory, which means they don't lose stored data when power is turned off. But the two memory types have different strengths, making them suitable for different applications. NOR chips have faster read capabilities, making them suitable for storing software code, while NAND chips, which offer faster write/erase capabilities and smaller memory cells, are better suited for storing large amounts of data, such as pictures or music.
Besides NOR flash, the acquisition also gives Micron access to Numonyx's phase-change memory technology. Phase-change memory is an emerging memory type that's currently under development and seen as a possible replacement for flash chips.
Micron expects to close the deal within three to six months.
- Reduce IT Burdens: Regulation, Legal Hold & Discovery Download this white paper to learn how Delphix can be an integral part of ensuring your archiving strategy actually enables your business.
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- Server-side Caching for the VMware Admin vExpert David Davis weights in on how best-in-class server-side caching solutions can drastically improve storage performance and reduce latency without the addition of...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts