Dell looks to buy clustered storage vendor Exanet
It's looking to extend storage sales into NAS systems
Computerworld - Looking to extend its reach in the storage space, Dell Inc. today said it has put a bid in to purchase clustered storage vendor Exanet Inc. for an as-yet undisclosed amount.
According to a Dell spokesman, the company has submitted an offer to purchase Israel-based Exanet's assets, primarily patents and other intellectual property with court approval through a Chapter 7 liquidation in Israel.
"The transaction has not yet been approved by the Israel court, so we won't speculate on its completion or timing," the spokesman said in an e-mail response to a Computerworld inquiry.
Exanet sells a Linux-based clustered network-attached storage management software called the ExaStore.
Dell has had a long-standing reseller and manufacturing relationship with EMC Corp., selling its Clariion line of mid-range storage arrays. More recently, Dell began selling its own line of iSCSI-based low-end and midrange storage arrays after it purchased EqualLogic Corp. in 2007.
Exanet's U.S. headquarters is located in New York and the company also has offices in Europe and Japan. Exanet filed for bankruptcy last month under Chapter 11.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts