Dell looks to buy clustered storage vendor Exanet
It's looking to extend storage sales into NAS systems
Computerworld - Looking to extend its reach in the storage space, Dell Inc. today said it has put a bid in to purchase clustered storage vendor Exanet Inc. for an as-yet undisclosed amount.
According to a Dell spokesman, the company has submitted an offer to purchase Israel-based Exanet's assets, primarily patents and other intellectual property with court approval through a Chapter 7 liquidation in Israel.
"The transaction has not yet been approved by the Israel court, so we won't speculate on its completion or timing," the spokesman said in an e-mail response to a Computerworld inquiry.
Exanet sells a Linux-based clustered network-attached storage management software called the ExaStore.
Dell has had a long-standing reseller and manufacturing relationship with EMC Corp., selling its Clariion line of mid-range storage arrays. More recently, Dell began selling its own line of iSCSI-based low-end and midrange storage arrays after it purchased EqualLogic Corp. in 2007.
Exanet's U.S. headquarters is located in New York and the company also has offices in Europe and Japan. Exanet filed for bankruptcy last month under Chapter 11.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts