With bug public, Oracle rushes out WebLogic fix
IDG News Service - Oracle has rushed out a patch for its WebLogic application server, two weeks after a Russian security researcher posted details of the vulnerability.
The flaw lies in WebLogic's Node Manager software, which is typically blocked at the firewall. However, if hacker is able to access Node Manager's administrative port, the results could be devastating, Oracle said. "A successful exploitation of this vulnerability may result in a full compromise of the targeted server on Windows. On other platforms (Unix, Linux, etc.), the attacker may gain access to the targeted server with the same privileges as the WebLogic server processes," Oracle wrote in a blog post detailing the issue.
Oracle issued its most-recent set of security patches on Jan. 12, but was apparently forced to rush out a WebLogic patch after security research firm Intevydis went public with details of the flaw on Jan. 23. The Russian company posted information on dozens of vulnerabilities during the month of January, in an effort to draw attention to he large number of server and database vulnerabilities that are not being patched.
An Oracle spokeswoman declined to comment on the patch. In its security alert, Oracle said it, "strongly recommends that the fix for this vulnerability be applied as soon as possible." The flaw affects versions 7 and higher of WebLogic.
Intevydis CEO Evgeny Legerov said his company is not following standard industry practice of notifying vendors of the bugs ahead of time because this "allows vendors to exploit security [researchers] to do QA work for free," according to a blog posting.
In an e-mail Friday, Legerov confirmed that Oracle wasn't notified of this particular flaw ahead of time. "Since we have rather limited resources and we are not working for Oracle we are staying away from responsible disclosure path," he said.
"It is pretty serious bug," he explained, "a remote attacker could execute OS commands without any authentication."
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!