InfoWorld - The BlackBerry may be the most popular phone in businesses today, but the openness of the Google Android platform is attractive too. Most of the big-name apps from the iPhone world are now available for the Android. And because the Android's Web browser is based on the same WebKit rendering engine the iPhone uses, Web apps built for the iPhone will likely require minimal changes to work on Android devices.
Programmers enjoy the freedom offered by Google's looser reins, and this will make life much easier for any business that adopts the platform. The Android operating system and marketplace are both pretty open, something that makes life much easier for the IT departments that support the phone. Distributing an app to all internal clients, consultants, and customers is much simpler without the tight strictures of the iPhone world.
The Android Market is nowhere near as deep as the iPhone's App Store, and it shows when you browse through the apps. But the lack of depth isn't as important to a business user as it might be to the casual consumer or gamer. Many of the dumb apps filled with scantily clad models aren't available for Android yet, and those are a surprisingly large slice of the iPhone marketplace.
Even though the market for Android apps is still emerging, there are a number of good apps for business users. Take InfoWorld's quick, at-a-glance tour of 10 Android apps for business users that help you find where you're going, track your expenses and exchange rates, overcome language barriers, view and edit Office documents, and connect remotely to a company database or your desktop PC.
This story, "Android apps for business users," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments on mobile computing and Google Android at InfoWorld.com.
Read more about mobilize in InfoWorld's Mobilize Channel.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts