IDG News Service - NTT DoCoMo plans to demonstrate a prototype cellular handset running next-generation LTE technology at this month's Mobile World Congress exhibition in Barcelona, one of the companies that co-developed the handset said Monday.
LTE is a development on current 3G cellular technology and will accelerate data transmission by several times to at least 100Mbps. NTT DoCoMo is planning to launch LTE data services in Japan this year and is working with NEC, Fujitsu and Panasonic on prototype LTE data terminals and handsets.
The demonstration at Barcelona will be running on a prototype LTE chip developed by the four companies, said NEC. The chip was first demonstrated in October in concept data cards, and its appearance at Barcelona will be the first time it's appeared in a handset.
The prototype handset will be used to demonstrate high-definition video transmission across an LTE network, said NEC.
NTT DoCoMo has been aggressively pushing LTE development and is planning to spend between ¥300 billion and ¥400 billion (US$3.3 billion to $4.4 billion) to roll-out the technology over the next five years.
The Mobile World Congress is scheduled to take place from Feb. 15 to 18 in Barcelona, Spain.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts