Ballmer defends Microsoft as China plays up Gates comments
IDG News Service -
Microsoft Corp. CEO Steve Ballmer defended the company's presence in China in a message on Wednesday, after Chinese media seized on a statement by Bill Gates about Chinese Web censorship being "very limited."
"We have done business in China for more than 20 years, and we intend to stay engaged, which means our business must respect the laws of China," Ballmer wrote on a Microsoft blog. "Microsoft is opposed to restrictions on peaceful political expression, and we have conversations with governments to make our views known."
The message came after state-run Chinese newspapers this week prominently quoted Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates playing down China's Internet censorship. "Bill Gates bats for China," read a top headline in the English version of the state-run Global Times. The official China Daily also ran the comments by Gates.
The articles were part of a Chinese media blitz defending the country's Internet regulation after Google Inc. recently threatened to leave China over censorship and hacking attempts.
"Fortunately the Chinese efforts to censor the Internet have been very limited," Gates said this week in an interview on ABC's Good Morning America. "It's easy to go around" the government controls, he said. China blocks Web sites like YouTube and Facebook, but savvy Internet users there can still access them via proxy servers or other tools.
"Different countries have different rules about censorship," Gates said. "So you've got to decide, do you want to obey the laws of the countries you're in or not?"
Google has said it plans to stop following China's requirement to censor search results on its China-based search engine, even if that means being forced out of the country altogether. Reacting to that development earlier this month, Ballmer said Microsoft would stay in China.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce
- Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization
- Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment
- IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization
- A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire... All Government IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Government IT Webcasts