No lie! Wilson to respond to State of Union on Facebook
GOP Congressman set to use popular social networking site to respond to Obama's address
Computerworld - Facebook will have another first under its belt tonight.
Rep. Joe Wilson, R-South Carolina, will take to Facebook to respond to President Barack Obama's State of the Union Address. Wilson is scheduled to give his live address on his Facebook page at 10:30 - approximately 30 minutes after Obama wraps up the State of the Union speech.
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is slated to deliver the official Republican response to Obama's speech.
As of 1:30 p.m. EDT today, 78 people had signed up to "possibly" log on to watch Wilson's Facebook address tonight.
According to Wilson's Facebook page, a recorded video of his speech will later be posted to his YouTube page.
Wilson gained national fame last September when he yelled out "You lie!" during an Obama speech om health care in the U.S. Capitol. Wilson later apologized for his outburst, saying his emotions got the best of him.
Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter have been getting quite a bit of political attention lately.
Last week, Obama sent his first tweet during a visit to the American Red Cross headquarters in Washington D.C.
After making good use of sites like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter during his presidential campaign, Obama has created an image of a tech-savvy president by establishing a presence on multiple social networking sites.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed .
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts