No lie! Wilson to respond to State of Union on Facebook
GOP Congressman set to use popular social networking site to respond to Obama's address
Computerworld - Facebook will have another first under its belt tonight.
Rep. Joe Wilson, R-South Carolina, will take to Facebook to respond to President Barack Obama's State of the Union Address. Wilson is scheduled to give his live address on his Facebook page at 10:30 - approximately 30 minutes after Obama wraps up the State of the Union speech.
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is slated to deliver the official Republican response to Obama's speech.
As of 1:30 p.m. EDT today, 78 people had signed up to "possibly" log on to watch Wilson's Facebook address tonight.
According to Wilson's Facebook page, a recorded video of his speech will later be posted to his YouTube page.
Wilson gained national fame last September when he yelled out "You lie!" during an Obama speech om health care in the U.S. Capitol. Wilson later apologized for his outburst, saying his emotions got the best of him.
Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter have been getting quite a bit of political attention lately.
Last week, Obama sent his first tweet during a visit to the American Red Cross headquarters in Washington D.C.
After making good use of sites like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter during his presidential campaign, Obama has created an image of a tech-savvy president by establishing a presence on multiple social networking sites.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed .
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts