Google Voice finally gets to the iPhone with browser app
IDG News Service - Google has found a way to let iPhone owners use Google Voice, the telephony management service whose iPhone-specific application Apple rejected last year.
On Tuesday, Google is launching a Google Voice Web application that runs on iPhone devices with the 3.0 OS or later versions, as well as on Palm WebOS devices.
The Google Voice application leverages HTML 5's functionality for running sophisticated Web applications on a browser at speeds matching those of native applications, Google said.
The application lets users tap into a "streamlined" version of the Google Voice inbox, display their Google Voice numbers in caller ID systems, listen to voice-mail messages, read voice-mail transcripts, exchange text messages free and make international calls billed at Google Voice rates, Google said.
To access the application, users need to go to the URL http://m.google.com/voice and sign into their Google Voice accounts. They don't need to download anything to their phones.
Google and Apple, former corporate buddies turned snarling rivals, got into a spat last year when Apple rejected a Google Voice application for the iPhone. Apple reportedly justified the rejection by arguing that Google Voice duplicates some native iPhone functionality, which Apple wants to avoid in third-party iPhone apps, while Google called the decision unfair.
The Google Voice-iPhone conflict is one of several issues putting the companies on a collision course. Google's release of its Android mobile OS and devices based on it, as well as the development of the Chrome browser and Chrome OS all put it in a competitive position against Apple. Citing increasing areas of competition, Google CEO Eric Schmidt stepped down from Apple's board of directors last year.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts