Netezza launches Skimmer data appliance, teases two more
Skimmer is less expensive than current model; future appliances to deliver real-time analytics
Computerworld - Netezza Corp. on Monday launched the follow-up to its TwinFin data warehousing appliance, introducing a smaller device that shares the surfing-themed name of its big brother.
Called the Skimmer, the new device is aimed at small to midsize businesses and departments of larger enterprises. It can store up to 10TB of data, said Phil Francisco, Netezza's vice president of marketing.
Coming in the form of a 7U rack-mountable chassis rather than a full rack, the Netezza Skimmer will be less expensive than the TwinFin's $20,000-per-terabyte list price, Francisco said, though he declined to specify by how much.
The TwinFin was released last August, positioned as a faster, cheaper successor to Netezza's 10000-series appliances.
However, Netezza is planning an appliance with even greater capacity than the TwinFin, as well as another "memory-intensive" appliance that will be designed for users who want to perform real-time analytics.
One of those products is likely to be released later this year, said Francisco. He declined to give more details. However, judging by Netezza's recent trademark filings, the petabyte-plus model will be called the Cruiser, while the in-memory model will be called Pintail.
With more than 300 customers, Netezza has had success winning users, primarily from Teradata Corp., Oracle Corp. and IBM. Rivals say Netezza's products mimic the functionality of established vendors' offerings but cost less, and they say that business model will hurt the Marlborough, Mass.-based company in the long run.
"Data warehousing appliances are a 25-year-old solution, they are a 1.0 response to customers craving simplicity," says Scott Yara, president of data warehousing software vendor Greenplum Inc. "You can't get explosive growth from pure migrations. The real opportunity is helping companies do something new."
Francisco declined to respond to Yara's comments. But he promised that Netezza will soon be announcing improvements in the areas of MapReduce functionality and in-the-box advanced analytics.
Eric Lai covers Windows and Linux, desktop applications, databases and business intelligence for Computerworld. Follow Eric on Twitter at @ericylai, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Eric's RSS feed .
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts