Netezza launches Skimmer data appliance, teases two more
Skimmer is less expensive than current model; future appliances to deliver real-time analytics
Computerworld - Netezza Corp. on Monday launched the follow-up to its TwinFin data warehousing appliance, introducing a smaller device that shares the surfing-themed name of its big brother.
Called the Skimmer, the new device is aimed at small to midsize businesses and departments of larger enterprises. It can store up to 10TB of data, said Phil Francisco, Netezza's vice president of marketing.
Coming in the form of a 7U rack-mountable chassis rather than a full rack, the Netezza Skimmer will be less expensive than the TwinFin's $20,000-per-terabyte list price, Francisco said, though he declined to specify by how much.
The TwinFin was released last August, positioned as a faster, cheaper successor to Netezza's 10000-series appliances.
However, Netezza is planning an appliance with even greater capacity than the TwinFin, as well as another "memory-intensive" appliance that will be designed for users who want to perform real-time analytics.
One of those products is likely to be released later this year, said Francisco. He declined to give more details. However, judging by Netezza's recent trademark filings, the petabyte-plus model will be called the Cruiser, while the in-memory model will be called Pintail.
With more than 300 customers, Netezza has had success winning users, primarily from Teradata Corp., Oracle Corp. and IBM. Rivals say Netezza's products mimic the functionality of established vendors' offerings but cost less, and they say that business model will hurt the Marlborough, Mass.-based company in the long run.
"Data warehousing appliances are a 25-year-old solution, they are a 1.0 response to customers craving simplicity," says Scott Yara, president of data warehousing software vendor Greenplum Inc. "You can't get explosive growth from pure migrations. The real opportunity is helping companies do something new."
Francisco declined to respond to Yara's comments. But he promised that Netezza will soon be announcing improvements in the areas of MapReduce functionality and in-the-box advanced analytics.
Eric Lai covers Windows and Linux, desktop applications, databases and business intelligence for Computerworld. Follow Eric on Twitter at @ericylai, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Eric's RSS feed .
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!