IDG News Service - A Minnesota judge reduced the $2 million in damages that a jury ordered file-sharer Jammie Thomas-Rasset to pay, calling the original verdict "monstrous and shocking."
Thomas-Rasset was one of the first people to receive a guilty verdict in a music-sharing case backed by the Recording Industry Association of America. She won a retrial after she was found guilty of infringing copyrights and initially ordered to pay $220,000, but the jury in the retrial dramatically increased the fine, ordering her to pay $1.92 million.
On Friday, a judge in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota reduced the verdict to $54,000 but said he would have shrunk it further if he could have.
"This reduced award is significant and harsh," Judge Michael Davis wrote in his ruling. "It is a higher award than the court might have chosen to impose in its sole discretion. It was the jury's province to determine the award of statutory damages and this Court has merely reduced that award to the maximum amount that is no longer monstrous and shocking."
The figure amounts to three times the statutory minimum for infringement of sound recordings or $2,250 per each of the 24 songs that Thomas-Rasset has been accused of stealing.
Thomas-Rasset has seven days to decide whether to pay or request a new trial.
Another accused music sharer is similarly looking for a reduction in damages. Joel Tenenbaum, a Ph.D. student at Boston University, was ordered to pay $675,000 for illegally sharing music online. In January he asked for a retrial and a reduction of the damages verdict.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers
- Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services
- Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud
- This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America
- Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market All Government IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Government IT Webcasts