Gartner: Expect modest overall growth in IT spending
IDG News Service - Research firm Gartner Inc. has revised its outlook for worldwide IT spending this year, predicting the industry as a whole will see 4.6% growth to $3.4 trillion, up from its previous prediction of 3.3% growth, according to its latest figures released today.
That figure contrasts with 2009, when spending fell 4.6%. Gartner revised its forecast upward to account for an expected weakening of the U.S. dollar.
Spending is also expected to increase due to the increasing confidence of CEOs and CFOs as economic conditions gradually improve, said Richard Gordon, a research vice president with Gartner, in avideo.
Emerging markets will see the strongest gains. Gartner predicts that spending will increase 9.3% in Latin America, 7.7% in the Middle East and Africa and 7% in the Asia-Pacific region.
Due to the recession, the U.S. is expected to post only 2.5% growth, with Japan just 1.8%. In a bright spot outside of emerging markets, Gartner expects Western Europe to come in at 5.2% growth.
On the consumer side, confidence appears to be more fragile, Gordon said. "We think consumers are a bit nervous about job prospects," Gordon said.
The recovery from the recession will take between 12 to 18 months. The availability of credit should increase, which will help increase spending, and companies may look to make more hardware investments during the second half of this year, Gordon said.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts