Google slammed with antitrust complaints in Germany
IDG News Service - Germany's antitrust authority is awaiting a response from Google on three separate complaints filed recently, although the agency said no action is likely for some time.
The German Federal Cartel Office said it has received complaints from Ciao, a Microsoft subsidiary; a mapping company called Euro-Cities; and the German Newspapers Publishers Association.
The regulator has not formally taken any action against Google yet but has asked the company for its position, said Kay Weidner, spokesman for the office. The agency has the power to fine companies if it finds violations of German antitrust law, he said.
Ciao is a shopping portal acquired by Microsoft in 2008, had filed a previous complaint with the Federal Cartel Office regarding a business arrangement it had with Google prior to the Microsoft's acquisition. The latest complaint alleges that Google unfairly stopped negotiating with Ciao over that deal after Ciao went to the Federal Cartel Office, Weidner said.
No detail on other two complaints were available, and efforts to reach the German Newspapers Publishers Association and Euro-Cities were unsuccessful.
Google said it had been informed of the complaints.
"This is a fact-finding exercise, and we have been asked to provide the authority with our views," according to an e-mail statement from Julia Holtz, Google's competition counsel for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. "We are happy to explain our products and business practices, and we of course comply with German and European law."
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Advanced Attacks Demand New Defenses
- Cyber-criminals wielding APTs have plenty of innovative techniques to evade network and endpoint defenses. It's scary stuff, and ignorance is definitely not bliss....
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content
- Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network
- At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success
- Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,... All Government IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Government IT Webcasts