Google slammed with antitrust complaints in Germany
IDG News Service - Germany's antitrust authority is awaiting a response from Google on three separate complaints filed recently, although the agency said no action is likely for some time.
The German Federal Cartel Office said it has received complaints from Ciao, a Microsoft subsidiary; a mapping company called Euro-Cities; and the German Newspapers Publishers Association.
The regulator has not formally taken any action against Google yet but has asked the company for its position, said Kay Weidner, spokesman for the office. The agency has the power to fine companies if it finds violations of German antitrust law, he said.
Ciao is a shopping portal acquired by Microsoft in 2008, had filed a previous complaint with the Federal Cartel Office regarding a business arrangement it had with Google prior to the Microsoft's acquisition. The latest complaint alleges that Google unfairly stopped negotiating with Ciao over that deal after Ciao went to the Federal Cartel Office, Weidner said.
No detail on other two complaints were available, and efforts to reach the German Newspapers Publishers Association and Euro-Cities were unsuccessful.
Google said it had been informed of the complaints.
"This is a fact-finding exercise, and we have been asked to provide the authority with our views," according to an e-mail statement from Julia Holtz, Google's competition counsel for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. "We are happy to explain our products and business practices, and we of course comply with German and European law."
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings
- This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools
- The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution
- In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility
- Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the... All Government IT White Papers
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Learn how BYOD, Big Data and the use of rogue applications and devices is putting corporate data at risk, best practices from IT...
- All Government IT Webcasts