Google slammed with antitrust complaints in Germany
IDG News Service - Germany's antitrust authority is awaiting a response from Google on three separate complaints filed recently, although the agency said no action is likely for some time.
The German Federal Cartel Office said it has received complaints from Ciao, a Microsoft subsidiary; a mapping company called Euro-Cities; and the German Newspapers Publishers Association.
The regulator has not formally taken any action against Google yet but has asked the company for its position, said Kay Weidner, spokesman for the office. The agency has the power to fine companies if it finds violations of German antitrust law, he said.
Ciao is a shopping portal acquired by Microsoft in 2008, had filed a previous complaint with the Federal Cartel Office regarding a business arrangement it had with Google prior to the Microsoft's acquisition. The latest complaint alleges that Google unfairly stopped negotiating with Ciao over that deal after Ciao went to the Federal Cartel Office, Weidner said.
No detail on other two complaints were available, and efforts to reach the German Newspapers Publishers Association and Euro-Cities were unsuccessful.
Google said it had been informed of the complaints.
"This is a fact-finding exercise, and we have been asked to provide the authority with our views," according to an e-mail statement from Julia Holtz, Google's competition counsel for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. "We are happy to explain our products and business practices, and we of course comply with German and European law."
- The 20 Best iPhone/iPad Games of 2013 So Far
- 9 Steps to Build Your Personal Brand (and Your Career)
- 7 Consumer Technologies Coming to an Enterprise Near You
- 11 Signs Your IT Project is Doomed
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions
- Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts
- Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Proactive Planning for Big Data
- Big data is less about the terabytes and more about the query tools and business intelligence needed to make sense of massive amounts...
- Inquiry Spotlight: Consumer-Facing Identity
- The challenges of consumer-facing identity management, access management, and authentication differ in ways subtle and dramatic from those of the employee-facing variety. All Government IT White Papers
- Becoming An Analytics Driven Organization
- Join us on Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT and learn how your agency can create an analytics culture that will enable...
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity. All Government IT Webcasts