Google surges; Bing, Yahoo slip in search market
Despite competition from Microsoft Bing, Google pulls further ahead in U.S. market
Computerworld - Google Inc. continues to hold its own atop the search market despite being targeted by Microsoft Corp. and its well-received Bing search engine in recent months.
The Nielsen Co. reported yesterday that Google's engine answered some 6.7 billion search queries in the U.S. last month, accounting for 67.3% of all online searches. The company's share in November was 65.4%.
Google's share has increased by more than 6% since July, when held 61% of the market in July, according to Nielsen.
Nielsen said that Yahoo Inc. had the second highest market share in December -- 14.4%. The Yahoo share is down by just under 1% from November, Nielsen said.
Microsoft's Bing also showed a slight slip in December. Neilsen listed Bing's November share at 10.7% compared to December's 9.9%.
Bing, unveiled last June, made strong gains in the search market - in the U.S. and globally -- early on. But Bing's momentum started to stumble a bit in September when it saw its first slip in market share.
Microsoft and Yahoo in July announced plans to join forces in a search and online advertising deal to better take on Google.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed .
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts