Google surges; Bing, Yahoo slip in search market
Despite competition from Microsoft Bing, Google pulls further ahead in U.S. market
Computerworld - Google Inc. continues to hold its own atop the search market despite being targeted by Microsoft Corp. and its well-received Bing search engine in recent months.
The Nielsen Co. reported yesterday that Google's engine answered some 6.7 billion search queries in the U.S. last month, accounting for 67.3% of all online searches. The company's share in November was 65.4%.
Google's share has increased by more than 6% since July, when held 61% of the market in July, according to Nielsen.
Nielsen said that Yahoo Inc. had the second highest market share in December -- 14.4%. The Yahoo share is down by just under 1% from November, Nielsen said.
Microsoft's Bing also showed a slight slip in December. Neilsen listed Bing's November share at 10.7% compared to December's 9.9%.
Bing, unveiled last June, made strong gains in the search market - in the U.S. and globally -- early on. But Bing's momentum started to stumble a bit in September when it saw its first slip in market share.
Microsoft and Yahoo in July announced plans to join forces in a search and online advertising deal to better take on Google.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed .
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts