Samsung releases its densest mobile memory card
New 64GB and 32GB cards use Samsung's new 30 nanometer lithography technology
Computerworld - Samsung today unveiled two high-density memory modules for mobile devices that double the capacity of its previous high-end micro secure digital (microSD) cards.
The new storage offerings include a 64GB moviNAND embedded memory module and a 32GB removable microSD memory card.
The new memory cards are based on Samsung's 32Gbit NAND flash memory chips, which use 30 nanometer lithography technology. The 64GB moviNAND memory module measures 1.4 millimeter in height, contains 16 flash chips and a controller. The new moviNAND memory is also available in 64GB, 32GB, 16GB, 8GB and 4GB densities.
The 32GB microSD card, developed this month, uses eight 32Gbit NAND flash chips and a controller. Previously, the highest density microSD card in production had a 16GB capacity and was based on 40 nanometer lithography technology. The new 32GB card is only 1 millimeter thick, and the portion of the card that is inserted into a mobile device handset measures just 0.7 millimeters in height.
"Samsung's high-density memory solutions bring the storage capacity levels of computing systems to small, mobile devices," Dong-Soo Jun, executive vice president of memory marketing for Samsung Electronics, said in a statement.
Samsung's began mass production of its new 64GB moviNAND in December. The module is now shipping to mobile device manufacturers. The 32GB microSD is now being sampled with OEMs and is expected to be in mass production next month.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed .
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts