IDG News Service - The worst is over for technology spending and the sector is set to rebound this year, according to a new report from Forrester Research.
The analyst firm expects U.S. IT spending to grow by 6.6% in 2010 after plummeting 8.2% in 2009. On a global basis, IT expenditures will jump 8.1% in U.S. dollars and 5.6% based on local currencies.
Forrester is making its predictions even though final data for the fourth quarter of 2009 isn't in yet. It's basing that confidence on recent signs of economic recovery around the world, including strong earning reports from vendors such as Oracle and the increased availability of credit.
Although the sector will experience strong growth, this won't result in a full recovery across the board, according to Forrester's data. For example, while computer equipment purchasing will jump 9.2%, the overall level of spending will be lower than in 2008 or 2007.
But software is also expected to grow by 9.2% in 2010, which will negate the 7.4% drop experienced in 2009 and exceed 2008's level.
Communications equipment spending will remain comparatively weak, rising only 2.8% this year, according to Forrester.
Forrester's report also examines the possibility that a "double-dip" recession will occur this year following a short period of economic growth. There is a 15% chance of this happening, and if it does, tech spending will instead see a decline of 3% to 4% in 2010, Forrester said.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts