IDG News Service - Infosys Technologies, India's second largest outsourcer, today reported that third quarter revenue totaled $1.2 billion, up 5.2% over the same quarter in the previous year.
Despite the rise in revenue, the company's profits for the quarter ended Dec. 31 were basically flat, rising 0.6% to $334 million.
The rise in the value of the Indian rupee against the U.S. dollar meant the company's revenue in rupees dropped by 0.8% during the quarter, in comparison to the same quarter in the previous year. Profits in rupees declined by 3.6%.
Analysts have forecast a recovery in the offshore outsourcing market, but cautioned that the industry will take some time to reach pre-recession growth levels.
Infosys today also revised upwards its forecast for its fiscal year ending March 31. The company's annual revenue is now expected to be in the range of $4.75 billion and $4.76 billion, a year-on-year increase of 1.8% to 2%.
Infosys said that offshore outsourcing is likely to benefit from the recovery, even though IT budgets will be flat this year.
The recovery, which started in a small way in the third quarter of last year, is expected to continue strongly in the current quarter, said Diptarup Chakraborti, principal research analyst at Gartner.
Most of the IT services business is still expenditure considered necessary by user organizations, which was postponed because of the recession, Chakraborti said. Discretionary expenditure on IT services is still to pick up, he added.
Indian outsourcing companies have started adding staff in anticipation of a recovery. Infosys added 4,429 employees in the quarter, taking the total number of staff to 109,882 as of Dec. 31. The company added 1,548 staff in the previous quarter.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts