CIO - What is the key lesson we should take away from this recession?
I have been through three downturns in addition to our current recession; the first at GE, then at AT&T and Coca-Cola (KO). What I'm doing today as CIO at Whirlpool (WHR) is exactly the same thing I did in those situations. That is, achieving sustainable cost reduction by focusing on fundamentals. Companies that are struggling the most to recover lack a clearly defined strategy that included cost optimization. Hence, when the need to reduce expenses hit, they were forced to reactively rip out costs. When I arrived in 2007, the fundamentals weren't in place to provide a solid foundation. Our spending was up to 20 percent higher than needed, we had far too many suppliers and few of the projects we were working hard to implement were strategically aligned to business direction or delivering the highest ROI. We needed solid financial management and governance processes to improve. This downturn gave urgency to our goal of achieving sustainable cost takeout in IT, which helped to accelerate our overall strategy.
We've spent two years building the IT organization's operational routines and capabilities such as portfolio, program and financial management and globally integrating the organization. With portfolio management and governance, we whittled down hundreds of projects to 20 to 30 strategic programs aligned with the business. Through our strategic partnerships with IBM (IBM), AT&T and others, we increased our capacity and scalability. This has added up to more than 28 percent in annual cost reductions.
We're still investing in the IT organization. We are selectively hiring and have continued professional development, including performance management, career development and more new technology training than we have had in the past. When the economy improves, people will remember that we've invested in them during the down times.
Click here to find out more!
We haven't stopped investing in innovation, either. Part of our strategy road map is to support the return of growth. We are implementing platforms that provide an integrated supply chain and that allow us to manage consumer needs through a comprehensive online strategy.
When the economy rebounds, the companies that will win are the ones that have a foundation that enables sustainable cost takeout, that continue to focus on customer loyalty and that have a road map that supports business value creation.
Kevin Summers is corporate VP and global CIO at Whirlpool, and he is a member of the CIO Executive Council. E-mail mentor topics to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the CIO Executive Council, visit our public site.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts