Report: Ballmer to unveil tablet computer before Apple
IDG News Service - Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will announce a multimedia tablet computer today to be made by Hewlett-Packard, according to a news report, just as hype about a rumored similar device from Apple peaks.
Ballmer will reveal the touch-screen, slate-style computer during his keynote speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), The New York Times said late Tuesday, citing unnamed sources. Such a move would come just a few weeks before Apple is expected to announce its own, much-hyped tablet computer.
Ballmer will show the device, which is not yet named but will combine multitouch and e-reader functions, the report said. HP will make the device and it could be available mid-year, it said.
The report comes as signs grow that touch-based devices will take much of the limelight at CES this year. Both HP and Lenovo have announced new netbooks with touchscreen support this week.
An HP spokeswoman declined to comment on the report. Microsoft representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.
- 'Minority Report' interface shown at CES
- Image gallery: Hottest laptops and netbooks of CES
- Your mobile future: From smartphones to superphones -- and beyond
- Intel CEO shows first Moorestown smartphone
- Verizon Wireless flexes LTE muscle at CES
- First looks from CES: Google Nexus One and Motorola Backflip
- Palm opens developer program, adds plug-in support
- Palm updates the Pre and Pixi for Verizon Wireless
- Quick hands-on from CES: Que and Skiff e-readers
- First Look: Marvell's Plug Computer 3.0
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!