Report: Ballmer to unveil tablet computer before Apple
IDG News Service - Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will announce a multimedia tablet computer today to be made by Hewlett-Packard, according to a news report, just as hype about a rumored similar device from Apple peaks.
Ballmer will reveal the touch-screen, slate-style computer during his keynote speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), The New York Times said late Tuesday, citing unnamed sources. Such a move would come just a few weeks before Apple is expected to announce its own, much-hyped tablet computer.
Ballmer will show the device, which is not yet named but will combine multitouch and e-reader functions, the report said. HP will make the device and it could be available mid-year, it said.
The report comes as signs grow that touch-based devices will take much of the limelight at CES this year. Both HP and Lenovo have announced new netbooks with touchscreen support this week.
An HP spokeswoman declined to comment on the report. Microsoft representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.
- 'Minority Report' interface shown at CES
- Image gallery: Hottest laptops and netbooks of CES
- Your mobile future: From smartphones to superphones -- and beyond
- Intel CEO shows first Moorestown smartphone
- Verizon Wireless flexes LTE muscle at CES
- First looks from CES: Google Nexus One and Motorola Backflip
- Palm opens developer program, adds plug-in support
- Palm updates the Pre and Pixi for Verizon Wireless
- Quick hands-on from CES: Que and Skiff e-readers
- First Look: Marvell's Plug Computer 3.0
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!