Report: Ballmer to unveil tablet computer before Apple
IDG News Service - Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will announce a multimedia tablet computer today to be made by Hewlett-Packard, according to a news report, just as hype about a rumored similar device from Apple peaks.
Ballmer will reveal the touch-screen, slate-style computer during his keynote speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), The New York Times said late Tuesday, citing unnamed sources. Such a move would come just a few weeks before Apple is expected to announce its own, much-hyped tablet computer.
Ballmer will show the device, which is not yet named but will combine multitouch and e-reader functions, the report said. HP will make the device and it could be available mid-year, it said.
The report comes as signs grow that touch-based devices will take much of the limelight at CES this year. Both HP and Lenovo have announced new netbooks with touchscreen support this week.
An HP spokeswoman declined to comment on the report. Microsoft representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.
- 'Minority Report' interface shown at CES
- Image gallery: Hottest laptops and netbooks of CES
- Your mobile future: From smartphones to superphones -- and beyond
- Intel CEO shows first Moorestown smartphone
- Verizon Wireless flexes LTE muscle at CES
- First looks from CES: Google Nexus One and Motorola Backflip
- Palm opens developer program, adds plug-in support
- Palm updates the Pre and Pixi for Verizon Wireless
- Quick hands-on from CES: Que and Skiff e-readers
- First Look: Marvell's Plug Computer 3.0
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts