Google Nexus One early termination fee could reach $550
IDG News Service - Buyers beware: people who choose the subsidized new Google Nexus One phone with a T-Mobile contract will get hit with US$550 in early termination fees if they cancel their service in under four months.
That’s because both Google and T-Mobile plan to charge buyers early termination fees.
In its terms of sale, Google explains that customers who buy the Nexus One for the reduced $179 price with a T-Mobile contract will be automatically charged $350 if they cancel service within 120 days. That cancellation fee does not apply during the first 14 days of service.
Google also instructs buyers that if they want to cancel service they must contact their operator directly and they may also be subject to the operator’s early termination fee.
T-Mobile’s terms of service, also posted on Google’s new phone sales Web site, describe its early termination fees. Customers will pay $200 if they cancel with more than 180 days remaining on the contract. T-Mobile also allows a 14 day grace period after customers sign up.
Operators typically charge customers who buy reduced-price phones with service contracts if they cancel the contract early. Most so-called early termination fees start at $200 and go down as the contract runs out.
Verizon, however, recently raised its early termination fee to $350. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission, which did not appear to approve of the hike, recently asked Verizon to explain its decision to raise the fee. One FCC commissioner called Verizon's responses "troubling."
A Google spokeswoman did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
Google unveiled the Nexus One on Tuesday at a press event at its headquarters in Mountain View, California. The phone, designed by Google in partnership with HTC, will be sold initially exclusively on Google's phone sales site. Consumers who opt to buy the unlocked version of the Nexus One for $530 are not subject to the early termination fee from Google.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts