Kingston recalls some USB drives due to security flaw
A software flaw uncovers password authentication process
Computerworld - Kingston Technology Co. is recalling certain models of its DataTraveler secure USB flash drives in order to update firmware on the drives after a security company found a flaw that could allow a hacker to gain access to a user's password.
On its Web site, Fountain Valley, Calif.-based Kingston stated that "a skilled person with the proper tools and physical access to the drives may be able to gain unauthorized access to data contained on" some of its USB drives.
According to Kingston, the security flaw involves the way the drives process passwords. German security company SySS GmbH apparently created a script that revealed the password authentication method.
A Kingston spokesperson said the company would not comment on any specifics surrounding the security flaw, because "anything we say [could give] other hackers fuel and clues" as to how to break into the drive's security features.
The affected models include the DataTraveler BlackBox, DataTraveler Secure–Privacy Edition, and DataTraveler Elite–Privacy Edition.
Currently, owners of the drives are being directed to
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure, and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Lucas' RSS feed .
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts