South Korea closes flash memory antitrust investigation
IDG News Service - South Korea's Fair Trade Commission has closed an antitrust investigation of the flash memory industry, concluding that there is no evidence of a pricing cartel.
The investigation had targeted four major international manufacturers of flash memory, two of them in Korea, one in Japan and one in the U.S., Korea's FTC said. While it didn't name the companies it investigated, it noted that the world's largest manufacturers of the chips are Samsung Electronics and Hynix in South Korea, Toshiba in Japan and SanDisk in the U.S.
The FTC found no evidence of price fixing at the international level, and limited evidence of domestic price fixing, it said in a statement released Wednesday.
Its investigation focused on prices for one type of memory, NAND flash, used in devices such as digital music players and digital cameras, and storage media such as memory cards and USB memory sticks. NAND memory is typically cheaper to manufacture than the other main flash technology, NOR, which can transfer data more quickly.
Antitrust investigators in other countries have also had their eyes on the flash memory industry, with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission taking a close look in 2007 at plans by Intel and ST Microelectronics to spin off their flash memory venture into a new company.
Memory manufacturers have struggled over the last few years, as a fall in demand for consumer electronics devices containing their products left them with a glut of chips and excess manufacturing capacity, driving memory prices down. While the makers of DRAM, the volatile memory used in PCs, were hardest hit, flash memory manufacturers were also affected.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits
- This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage
- Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About
- As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big... All Government IT White Papers
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- All Government IT Webcasts