Macworld - Apparently, Google CEO Eric Schmidt took some pages from the Apple playbook when he departed the company's board earlier this year. On Tuesday, the search giant sent out invitations to members of the press for an event at Google's Mountain View, Calif. campus on Jan. 5; All Things D has posted a copy of the invitation.
The event, which is focused around Google's Android mobile platform, is invitation-only and will be comprised of a press conference and presentation, Q&A session, and demonstrations. (Plus, the lucky attendees get to snag themselves a delicious Google lunch.)
Of course, had Apple not pulled out of this year's Macworld Expo, January 5th likely would have been the day of the company's traditional keynote. However, in part spurred by Apple's departure, Macworld Expo takes place this year in February.
As it is, Google's event also falls just prior to this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which beings on January 7th. As All Things D's John Paczkowski points out, CES was famously upstaged by Jobs's Macworld keynote in 2007, which saw the unveiling of the iPhone. (Believe me, as someone who was at CES 2007, it was the only thing anybody was talking about.) Google has a chance to preempt the entire consumer electronics industry in one fell swoop.
What exactly Google will announce at its event is already the subject of much discussion. The leading contender is an Android phone under the Google brand, dubbed the Nexus One. The question remains, however, exactly how the Nexus One will be differentiated from its predecessors, like the G1 and Motorola Droid--especially since reports and FCC filings seem to say that phone manufacturer HTC will be actually building the device.
Speculation mainly revolves, then, around the Nexus One's business model, with rumors claiming it will be an unlocked phone sold directly to consumers, with the tacit support of T-Mobile. Such a move could conceivably open up the Nexus One to users not looking for a two-year contract, potentially even providing an Android-flavored answer to the iPod touch.
At least the Nexus One will provide a worthy distraction to divert pundits and professional speculators from their current incessant noise-making about the Apple tablet.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts