50-50 chance Apple unveils tablet next month, says analyst
Wall Street analyst Gene Munster lays bets on new tablet as rumors gain momentum
Computerworld - There's a 50-50 chance that Apple will introduce its first tablet-sized device next month, a noted Wall Street analyst said today.
Gene Munster, who tracks Apple for Piper Jaffray & Co., said it's an even bet that Apple will unveil a tablet in January 2010. In a research note that was cited by several online sources, including AppleInsider and 9to5Mac. Munster told investors that assuming Apple does introduce a tablet next month, he would expect the hardware to start shipping by the end of March.
"We expect the tablet hardware to be similar to an iPod touch but larger (about 10"); we expect the key differentiator of the device to be its software," Munster said in the note. "While there are several options ranging from a touch screen Mac OS X to an iPhone-like OS, we expect the tablet to be driven by a new version of Apple's iPhone OS that runs a new category of larger apps alongside all the current apps from the App Store."
Munster's note, along with a slew of other rumors today about the long-anticipated tablet, threw the Apple rumor mill into high gear.
"Our connect [sic] said there is 100% [chance] a 73 Apple tablet, to be announced in January," added the Boy Genius Report today.
Previously, reports had pegged an Apple tablet with a screen at or close to a 10-in. size, with other analysts betting that the device would debut as early as February 2010.
Analysts and others have bandied about prices ranging from a low of $600 to a high of $2,000 for an Apple tablet.
Munster also said there was a 75% chance that Apple would host some kind of product announcement event next month.
If true, that would take the place of Apple's usual presentation at Macworld Conference & Expo, which is slated for Feb. 9-12, 2010. Last year, Apple said it would no longer exhibit at Macworld, and would instead focus on its own events to launch new products.
Munster did not reply to a request for additional comment today.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts