Apple firmware update aims to fix iMac flickering
Early reports mixed, some saying it hasn't solved their 27-in. iMac's display problems
Computerworld - Apple issued a firmware update today for all 27-in. iMacs that is designed to fix display problems, including flickering screens, that have been reported by hundreds of recent buyers.
"The 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update applies to the graphics firmware on ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards to address issues that may cause image corruption or the display to flicker," Apple said in the typically-terse description of the hotfix.
Display issues have plagued Apple's 27-in. iMac desktop computers since the new machines were Oct. 20. Users have reported cracked screens, a yellow tint in part of the display, and irritating flickers that come and go.
The problems prompted one Canadian Web developer to collate the complaints on a specially-built Web site, and may have been one of the reasons why Apple slapped a two-week shipping delay on 27-in. iMacs earlier this month.
A thread on Apple's support forum dedicated to the flickering screen problem boasts more than 1,500 messages and has a view count of over 244,000, making it the most-read of those on the iMac forum.
Apple didn't promise that the 638K update would solve everyone's display issues. "If your screen remains black after applying the updater or if you continue to experience image corruption or display flickering after successfully completing this update, contact AppleCare or an Apple Authorized Service Provider," the Apple advisory read.
In fact, just hours after the firmware update's release, user reports were mixed. Several reported that the update had not done the trick. "I have only experienced a mild flicker or two, but I can confirm that the firmware update does not seem to have solved the problem," said a user identified as "OSXAlex" on the support forum. "I noticed a flicker within 5 minutes of restarting after the update."
"Applied the update about an hour ago hoping it would fix my flickers," added "Paul_31" earlier Monday. "Sorry to report that it hasn't -- they seem to be less than they were but not cured."
However, others said that the flickers were now gone. "Just updated now, since then I didn't find any flickering/tearing of screen," countered "Ianod" this afternoon. "[But] it needs more time ... can't say anything at the moment."
The firmware update can be downloaded from Apple's site, or retrieved using Software Update on a 27-in. iMac equipped with one of the two ATI graphics cards.
Even after the update's release, Apple's online store continued to show a two-week shipping delay for all 27-in. iMacs.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts