White House awards first broadband stimulus grants
IDG News Service - New broadband projects, funded by the U.S. government, will open up economic and educational opportunities in rural northern Georgia and other states, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday.
Biden called the first round of broadband grants and loans, announced Thursday, a "historic investment" for people in Georgia, New York, Maine and other states receiving US$182 million in economic stimulus funding from the U.S. government. Thursday's announcement was the first of $2 billion in broadband grants and loans President Barack Obama's administration will announce over the next month and a half.
The broadband projects will enable telemedicine to come to rural hospitals, and distance learning to come to rural schools, Biden said. "This is literally going to revolutionize the way rural Georgia works, learns and grows," he said.
Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue called broadband the "new dial tone" of the 21st century. "Internet access is as important to our communications infrastructure today as reliable telephone service was a century ago," he said. "Creating an advanced network will promote economic development, expand educational opportunities and improve the availability and efficiency of government services."
Over the next year, the U.S. Rural Utilities Service and the U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration will award about $7.2 billion for broadband deployment projects. The money comes from the giant $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act approved by the U.S. Congress early this year.
The lack of broadband is holding back businesses such as Impulse Manufacturing in Dawsonville, Georgia, Biden said during a speech at a metal fabrication business. It's difficult for the company to provide real-time notification of project progress, conduct video chats with customers or handle large e-mail files, detailing the specifications of customer orders, without high-speed Internet, Biden said.
"This is a major problem for a small business like Impulse, putting them at a globally competitive disadvantage as they grow," he said. "Their ability to grow is stifled by being on the wrong side of the digital divide. That's no longer going to happen here in this part of Georgia."
The $182 million in awards announced Thursday, matched by $46 million in private investment, will go to projects in 17 states, the White House said.
Among those awards:
-- North Georgia Network Cooperative, a $33.5 million grant with an additional $8.8 million in matching funds to deploy a 260-mile regional fiber-optic ring to deliver gigabit broadband speeds.
-- Biddeford Internet, a $25.4 million grant with an additional $6.4 million in matching funds to build a 1,100-mile open access fiber-optic network extending to the most rural and disadvantaged areas of the state of Maine.
-- ION Hold, a $39.7 million grant with an additional $9.9 million in matching funds to build 10 new segments of fiber-optic, middle-mile broadband infrastructure, serving more than 70 rural communities in upstate New York and parts of Pennsylvania and Vermont.
-- South Dakota Network, a $20.6 million grant with an additional $5.1 million in matching funds to add 140 miles of backbone network and 219 miles of middle-mile spurs to an existing network, enabling the delivery of at least 10 Mbps service to more than 220 existing anchor institution customers in rural and underserved areas of the state.
-- Rivada Sea Lion, a $25.3 million grant with $6.4 million of other funding, for fourth-generation mobile broadband service to more than 9,000 unserved locations in a 90,000-square-mile area in southwestern Alaska.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security
- Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology
- IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop
- Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges
- Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks... All Government IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Government IT Webcasts