McDonald's to offer free, unlimited Wi-Fi
Fast-food chain wants customers to stay longer
Computerworld - McDonald's restaurants may soon be the easiest spot to find free Wi-Fi and browse the Web as long as you like.
The restaurant chain is lifting a $2.95 fee for two hours of wireless Internet access starting in mid-January, according to the Wall Street Journal and other reports.
McDonald's officials could not be reached immediately for comment.
The free Wi-Fi will reportedly be available at about 11,000 of 14,000 U.S. locations. McDonald's has used Wi-Fi provided by AT&T Inc. for several years, after first launching the service at 75 locations in San Francisco in 2003.
The free Wi-Fi will come with no time limits, all the better to encourage visitors to stay longer and buy McDonald's coffee drinks and hamburgers.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smart phones and other handhelds and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter @matthamblen, send e-mail at email@example.com or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed .
Read more about Wireless Networking in Computerworld's Wireless Networking Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Next Wave in Wireless Emerging 802.11ac standard promises a significant boost in performance to support ubiquitous mobility.
- Case Study: Murphy USA Gains Application Visibility Without Agents Murphy USA has more than 700 stores that share a 10Mbps VSAT link. So when something goes wrong with their applications, it's the...
- 25 Business Phone Service Features Your Business Can't Do Without How many features does your business really need in a phone system? Which are worth paying for, and which are over-hyped? Learn how...
- The Great Video Conferencing Debate: Cost Vs. Quality With new video conferencing solutions available for small and medium businesses, it is possible to have a higher standard of video conferencing without...
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Wireless Networking White Papers | Webcasts