Public exploit code just 'day or two' away, says Metasploit's HD Moore
The advice is timely, as noted bug researcher and exploit maker HD Moore confirmed that an exploit would be published to the open-source Metasploit penetration testing framework within a day or two.
But if Moore's preliminary work is any indication, attack code will go public long before then. "It is a little tricky to make reliable, but we are on track and should have a Metasploit update ready within a day or two at the latest," Moore said, referring to the probable release of an exploit module for the testing framework. Moore obtained a sample of the malicious PDF document being used to exploit the bug only this morning.
Moore also defended Metasploit's practice of providing working exploit code to anyone, including hackers. "Since the bug is 1) public and 2) widely exploited, we feel that adding an exploit module is the right thing to do, as it provides a safe way for folks to verify that their mitigation efforts actually work," said Moore.
Adobe will release its own in-lieu-of-patch recommendations later today, said Brad Arkin, Adobe's director for product security and privacy, in a direct tweet to Computerworld. "Full advisory coming later today with mitigation details," Arkin said around 3 p.m. Eastern. "Team is pulling that info together now."
Earlier today, Arkin told IDG News Service reporter Bob McMillan that the exploit targeted Windows users only. "It may trigger a crash on other platforms, but not an exploit," Arkin said in a direct tweet to McMillan.
Adobe Reader and Acrobat run on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts