IDG News Service - Clearwire customers in a handful of locations were unable to get online for several hours due to a network outage late Tuesday.
The problem affected Las Vegas; Portland and Salem, Oregon; Boise, Idaho; and Clearwire's West Texas markets. It lasted about five hours and happened as a result of software maintenance work the company was doing on some of its Motorola equipment, Clearwire said.
Additionally, one cell site in Seattle and one in Chicago also failed, leaving customers within range of those sites without access as well. Those outages, which were due to specific equipment failures unrelated to the issues in the other markets, lasted a couple of hours, Clearwire said.
A Clearwire employee posted a Twitter message at around 7 p.m. Pacific Time Tuesday, alerting customers that the company was aware of the outages, but did not yet have an estimate for when they would be resolved. Four hours later the employee wrote that most areas were back up but that if users were seeing scrolling or flashing lights on their modems, they should reboot. The Twitter messages have now been removed.
Multichannel News was the first to report on the outage.
Clearwire recently said that it had about 173,000 customers. At the end of September, it served 13 markets using WiMax; it offers services in additional markets using technology that was a precursor to WiMax.
WiMax is considered a fourth-generation mobile data network, meaning Clearwire is beating to market larger rivals Verizon Wireless and AT&T, which are building their own 4G networks based on different technology.
Sprint is the majority owner of Clearwire, while Intel Capital, Comcast, Google, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks are investors.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!