Google grabs bigger search bite, while Bing, Yahoo slip
As its rivals stumbled in November, Google grabbed more than 71% of searches
Computerworld - While Microsoft Corp.'s Bing might be getting a lot of attention, Google Inc. is still king of all things search.
Google's search rivals have been pulling out the stops over the past several months, trying to take a chunk out of its market share. But so far it's not working, according to numbers released today from Experian Hitwise, an online market tracker.
In November, 71.57% of all searches were done on Google, Hitwise reported. That's an increase of about one percentage point over October, when Google captured 70.60% of all searches.
November wasn't as good a month for Yahoo Inc.'s second-place search site or Microsoft's third-place Bing.
Yahoo dropped from a 16.14% market share in October to 15.39% in November. That represents a 5% decrease the number of searches conducted using Yahoo. And Bing's market share also slipped, going from 9.57% in October to 9.34% last month.
That has to be good news for Google, which has been pouring a lot of effort and money into expanding its search tool's capabilities.
Just yesterday, Google started giving users real-time search results. Both Google and Microsoft announced in October that they had struck individual real-time search deals with Twitter. Microsoft went one step further and struck a deal with Facebook, as well.
The move into real-time search shows how significant social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook have become to the online community.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!