Google grabs bigger search bite, while Bing, Yahoo slip
As its rivals stumbled in November, Google grabbed more than 71% of searches
Computerworld - While Microsoft Corp.'s Bing might be getting a lot of attention, Google Inc. is still king of all things search.
Google's search rivals have been pulling out the stops over the past several months, trying to take a chunk out of its market share. But so far it's not working, according to numbers released today from Experian Hitwise, an online market tracker.
In November, 71.57% of all searches were done on Google, Hitwise reported. That's an increase of about one percentage point over October, when Google captured 70.60% of all searches.
November wasn't as good a month for Yahoo Inc.'s second-place search site or Microsoft's third-place Bing.
Yahoo dropped from a 16.14% market share in October to 15.39% in November. That represents a 5% decrease the number of searches conducted using Yahoo. And Bing's market share also slipped, going from 9.57% in October to 9.34% last month.
That has to be good news for Google, which has been pouring a lot of effort and money into expanding its search tool's capabilities.
Just yesterday, Google started giving users real-time search results. Both Google and Microsoft announced in October that they had struck individual real-time search deals with Twitter. Microsoft went one step further and struck a deal with Facebook, as well.
The move into real-time search shows how significant social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook have become to the online community.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts