Nokia launches two new smartphones in the U.S.
Looks to gain U.S. market share with unlocked E72 model and 5800 Navigation Edition
Computerworld - Nokia today announced that its E72 and 5800 Navigation Edition smartphones are now available in the U.S.
Both are sold unlocked and buyers must acquire wireless service separately with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile.
The E72 model sells for $469 and the 5800 Navigation Edition smartphone for $299. Both are available at www.nokiausa.com and some independent retailers. The E72 is also available at Best Buy retail stores.
Nokia is by far the largest mobile phone and smartphone device maker in the world, but its U.S. market share significantly lags behind some competitors. Gartner Inc. said the Symbian operating system was used in nearly half the smartphones sold globally in 2009.
It has a physical Qwerty keyboard and resembles some BlackBerry smartphones in size and shape with a 2.4 inch display. It measures 4.5 x 2.3 x .4 inches and weighs 4.5 ounces.
Instead of a roller ball for navigation, the E72 comes with an optical navigation key. It has a 5-megapixel camera and Ovi maps with assisted GPS navigation.
The 5800 Navigation Edition features real-time, turn-by-turn navigation, touch-screen input and a front-facing camera that can be used for video calls.
It measures 4.3 x 2 x .6 inches and weighs 3.8 ounces.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts