Nokia launches two new smartphones in the U.S.
Looks to gain U.S. market share with unlocked E72 model and 5800 Navigation Edition
Computerworld - Nokia today announced that its E72 and 5800 Navigation Edition smartphones are now available in the U.S.
Both are sold unlocked and buyers must acquire wireless service separately with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile.
The E72 model sells for $469 and the 5800 Navigation Edition smartphone for $299. Both are available at www.nokiausa.com and some independent retailers. The E72 is also available at Best Buy retail stores.
Nokia is by far the largest mobile phone and smartphone device maker in the world, but its U.S. market share significantly lags behind some competitors. Gartner Inc. said the Symbian operating system was used in nearly half the smartphones sold globally in 2009.
It has a physical Qwerty keyboard and resembles some BlackBerry smartphones in size and shape with a 2.4 inch display. It measures 4.5 x 2.3 x .4 inches and weighs 4.5 ounces.
Instead of a roller ball for navigation, the E72 comes with an optical navigation key. It has a 5-megapixel camera and Ovi maps with assisted GPS navigation.
The 5800 Navigation Edition features real-time, turn-by-turn navigation, touch-screen input and a front-facing camera that can be used for video calls.
It measures 4.3 x 2 x .6 inches and weighs 3.8 ounces.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!