Nokia launches two new smartphones in the U.S.
Looks to gain U.S. market share with unlocked E72 model and 5800 Navigation Edition
Computerworld - Nokia today announced that its E72 and 5800 Navigation Edition smartphones are now available in the U.S.
Both are sold unlocked and buyers must acquire wireless service separately with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile.
The E72 model sells for $469 and the 5800 Navigation Edition smartphone for $299. Both are available at www.nokiausa.com and some independent retailers. The E72 is also available at Best Buy retail stores.
Nokia is by far the largest mobile phone and smartphone device maker in the world, but its U.S. market share significantly lags behind some competitors. Gartner Inc. said the Symbian operating system was used in nearly half the smartphones sold globally in 2009.
It has a physical Qwerty keyboard and resembles some BlackBerry smartphones in size and shape with a 2.4 inch display. It measures 4.5 x 2.3 x .4 inches and weighs 4.5 ounces.
Instead of a roller ball for navigation, the E72 comes with an optical navigation key. It has a 5-megapixel camera and Ovi maps with assisted GPS navigation.
The 5800 Navigation Edition features real-time, turn-by-turn navigation, touch-screen input and a front-facing camera that can be used for video calls.
It measures 4.3 x 2 x .6 inches and weighs 3.8 ounces.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts