IDG News Service - Apple has acquired online music streaming company Lala, the company said Monday, adding to the ways it could offer music to users.
The company gave no details on the price it paid or how it would integrate Lala into Apple products. "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not comment on our purpose or plans," an Apple spokeswoman said in an e-mail. Earlier reports said Apple had bought Lala, but neither company had confirmed the deal.
Lala lets U.S. users stream and purchase over 8 million songs, according to its Web site. Users can listen to a song once for free, pay US$0.10 for a version that can be played online repeatedly or pay $0.79 or more for a copy that can be downloaded.
Apple runs a huge business selling songs through iTunes, but its media player does not currently let users stream full songs.
Streaming music services have become increasingly popular. Both Facebook and Google struck deals with Lala in recent weeks to let users stream songs.
Lala did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!