AT&T, Verizon drop suits over 3G coverage ads
Expect more of Verizon's "there's a map for that" TV ads
IDG News Service - AT&T today asked the court to dismiss its lawsuit that sought to prevent Verizon from continuing to run the commercials. Verizon also dropped the suit it filed against AT&T in response, according to an AT&T spokesman.
The Verizon ads at the heart of the dispute display two maps of the U.S., one showing AT&T's sparse 3G coverage and the other showing Verizon's more extensive 3G network. Some of the initial ads riffed on the iPhone advertisement "there's an app for that" phrase with "there's a map for that."
AT&T argued that the ads implied that customers get no coverage at all outside of the 3G network. But Verizon pointed out the ads clearly state that both maps show 3G coverage. AT&T sought an injunction to prevent the ads as well as damages.
In mid-November, a judge in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia denied AT&T's request for an injunction that would have immediately required Verizon to stop using the ads.
The lawsuit points to heated competition among mobile operators. While AT&T has benefited by being the only operator in the U.S. to sell the popular iPhone, it has also come under intense criticism from customers who complain of poor network performance. Verizon has said that it would like to sell the iPhone, but presumably an exclusive deal between Apple and AT&T is preventing that.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts