IDG News Service - SAP is planning to release a "virtual war room" decision-making tool dubbed Constellation, which could be a potential rival to Google's heralded Wave collaboration platform.
Constellation will consist of a cloud-based tool accessible via a Web browser, as well as an on-premises component, SAP official David Meyer said during a private webinar conducted recently for a group of SAP "mentors," the company's term for particularly active and valued community members.
The cloud tool is now in private beta under the code name 12Sprints. While SAP executives provided glimpses of the application during events earlier this year, the Web briefing provided new details into Constellation's workings and SAP's go-to-market strategy for the product.
Meyer, vice president of emerging technologies in SAP's BusinessObjects division, demonstrated how users can collaborate in real time on problem-solving "activities" that employ widgets called "methods." As examples, he showed a tool for cataloging the pros and cons of a scenario, and another for conducting analyses using the SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) methodology.
"The sweet spot for people working on an activity is say, five to 30," Meyer said. However, SAP will provide ways to publish activities to wikis, SharePoint and other platforms to reach a wider audience, he said.
Meanwhile, Constellation's on-premises component, which is in an earlier stage of development, will let users tap securely into their company's various data stores.
"When you're working in the cloud and you have the right [security] credentials, you can tunnel into your enterprise and forage among all the ERP data, all the unstructured data, all the petabytes of BI data you have, and just access it through that one point in the cloud," Meyer said.
For example, users involved in buying decisions could pull in data from a purchase order system, discuss the pros and cons, and reach a verdict, Meyer said. "Right now, that's all being done on the phone, and it's all lost. It's not captured. ... That kind of cognitive capture is very powerful."
Constellation has an open but governed approach to security, Meyer told viewers of the webinar.
"Our principal point of view in Constellation is let people do whatever work they want to do, whatever way they want to do it, and audit what they do, so you could take care of the situation after the fact if it happens, in terms of a data leakage or something," Meyer said. Users will also be able to put controls in "so certain things can't happen," he added.
SAP is still mulling over pricing for Constellation, but will offer it in three tiers, according to Meyer. There will be a free option that allows a limited amount of activities, as well as two paid versions.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts