IDG News Service - Nokia today said it is suing display manufacturers Samsung, LG, Philips, Toshiba and others for price-fixing, claiming it has paid too much for displays and wants some of its money back.
Nokia has filed suits against the display manufacturers in the U.S. and U.K. related to LCD screens, and another suit in the U.K. related to CRT (cathode ray tube) displays. Nokia didn't elaborate on how much money it wants, but it's after damages for products sold between Jan.1, 2006, and at least Dec. 11, 2006, according to documents filed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
That companies LG, Sharp and Hitachi have already pleaded guilty to price-fixing on LCD displays and paid fines in an investigation headed by the U.S. Department of Justice makes Nokia confident of a victory, the company said.
The European Union is also looking into display price-fixing. On Nov. 26, the European Commission accused CRT manufacturers, including Philips, of running cartels in the markets for computer monitors and TVs.
Nokia uses LCD technology in its mobile phones and used to make CRT displays. Since the company sells about 35 million phones per month, small changes in what Nokia pays for displays could have a huge effects on its costs.
This is the second high-profile suit the Finnish phone manufacturer has filed in recent months. In October, the company said it was suing Apple for violating 10 Nokia patents on the iPhone.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Mobile Policy Checklist
- Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day
- The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements
- This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence
- Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data. All Government IT White Papers
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- How to Select the Right IoT Platform We are rapidly entering a world where almost everything will be connected to the cloud and managing these connected things and leveraging the...
- All Government IT Webcasts