IBM's analytics center focuses on financial services
IDG News Service - IBM has opened a business analytics center in London to focus on services for the U.K.'s financial sector, which drives a major portion of the nation's economy.
IBM said the center's initial focus will be on tracking risk positions across markets and assets classes. The center, opened on Tuesday and located at IBM's South Bank offices, will employ 400, although IBM said that number could double as demand for analytics services increases.
The center will eventually provide services for energy and utility industries as they move into smart metering and grid technologies, IBM said. Other areas it will serve in the future include the public sector, for transportation and public safety programs, as well as pharmaceutical firms working on new drug development.
The center will work with IBM's Hursley software laboratory in Winchester, England. IBM said the center will also be using technology from IBM acquisitions, such as the business intelligence company Cognos, iLog and SPSS.
The London center is one of several that IBM has opened this year. Since June, the company has opened analytics centers in Berlin, Tokyo, New York, Washington and Bangalore. The company expects to hire or retrain employees for some 4,000 analytics consultant positions in those centers.
In April, IBM said it would restructure its Global Business Services and create a Business Analytics and Optimization services practice, using the company's mathematicians and analytics experts from its research division.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts