IDG News Service - Top Chinese search engine Baidu.com has taken another swing at Google by launching a mobile service application it will pre-install on handsets, responding to fast growth in China's mobile search market.
Mobile phones pre-loaded with the Baidu Palm application should appear on the market soon as the company has already reached deals with handset makers, a Baidu representative said in an e-mail late Friday. The software is the "most important product in Baidu's mobile strategy," the company said in a statement announcing it last week.
Google and Baidu are racing to win users for their mobile versions in an outgrowth of their rivalry in online search. Baidu is China's Internet search leader, accounting for nearly 70 percent of online searches in China, compared to about 20 percent for Google, according to China IntelliConsulting. The companies have fought with rival products such as their free music download search services -- something offered by Google in China only -- and their focus on the mobile sector is growing.
The new Baidu application, now in beta, hooks users into its search, message board and question-and-answer online services. It also has a new quick-upload feature for pictures taken with a phone.
The product follows Baidu's announcement last month that it would start pre-loading its Internet search and other services on 3G handsets from local carrier China Unicom. China Telecom, another mobile network operator, also offers Baidu services. Like Google, Baidu has products such as online maps, a news search feature and a finance portal.
Google's main mobile search deal in China is with China Mobile, the world's largest carrier by subscribers, for which Google search powers an online music and application store.
Chinese mobile phone users performed over 270 million Web searches in the second quarter this year, more than twofold growth from a year earlier, according to local consultancy Analysys International. Baidu and Google each accounted for about 26 percent of those searches.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more