Elgan: 7 reasons why e-book readers make lousy gifts this year
4. Giving an e-book readers may involve committing a person to a specific technology
When you buy someone a Kindle, you're committing that person (assuming they use it) to a specific and, in the case of Amazon.com, proprietary format for future book sales. That's really a decision each person should decide for themselves. It's like choosing a wireless carrier, or a college, for someone.
5. E-book readers are old and busted
Two years ago, the Amazon Kindle was the new hotness. This year, it's old and busted. The Kindle and its major competitors have pretty much the same screen technology. And everybody knows about them, so they're just not an exciting gift anymore.
6. Everyone who really wanted one already has one
It's well understood that e-book readers pay for themselves with the lower price for books. Anyone who really wants an e-book reader would have bought one by now. By buying one for someone who doesn't have one, you're forcing a gift on them that they have already decided they don't want.
7. One of the best choices is unavailable
Even if you're not persuaded by all my arguments, and insist on giving an e-book reader, you should know that one of the best options is unavailable. If you order a Barnes & Noble Nook reader today, for example, it will arrive on January 4.
There has been so much change and excitement in the e-book market since the last holiday season, you might be tempted to think this is the year for giving e-books. Resist the temptation. An e-book reader is one of the worst gadget gift ideas of the season.
Eye on e-books
- E-reader decline prompts user debate over e-reader vs. tablet
- Last chapter for e-readers?
- Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight: An e-reader for night readers
- Bluefire launches Android-ready e-reader software for independent booksellers
- More Americans own e-readers than tablets, survey finds
- First look: The Kobo eReader Touch Edition
- Amazon: E-books now outsell print books
- Creating an e-book: Tips on formatting and converting your document
- Kindle for the Web demos at Chrome event
- Update: Amazon to demo Kindle for the Web on Tuesday
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless...