Teen gets prison term for attack on Scientology Web site
Dmitriy Guzner also ordered to pay $37,500 to church for DDOS attack in 2008
Computerworld - A 19-year-old New Jersey man this week was sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison for attacking the Church of Scientology's Web site in January 2008.
Dmitriy Guzner, of Verona, had pleaded guilty to one count of unauthorized impairment of a protected computer in May at the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Guzner was also ordered to pay $37,500 in restitution to the church and remain on probation for two years following his release from prison. He faced up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.
Guzner took part in a series of distributed denial of service attacks that knocked the Church of Scientology's Web site offline for several days. The DDOS attacks began Jan. 19 and proceeded to knock the Scientology.org Web site offline by hitting it with several bursts of up to 220Mbit/sec. in unwanted Internet traffic.
The attacks were attributed to a loose-knit underground hacking group called Anonymous that some have likened to a cyber-vigilante organization. The group has posted criticism of Scientology on its Web site.
Prosecutors said Guzner denied being part of Anonymous group, but said he participated in the attacks because he believed it would further the cause of the "anti-Scientology" organization.
A federal grand jury in Los Angeles last month indicted a second man, Brian Thomas Mettenbrink, on charges connected with the Church of Scientology attack.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!