Nook e-reader on sale Nov. 30 in Barnes & Noble stores
In-store signs reflect date and pamphlets are cut to match Nook's size
Computerworld - The Nook, a $259 e-reader from Barnes & Noble Inc., will hit the booksellers' stores on Nov. 30. That's in time for holiday shoppers, but too late for "Black Friday," Nov. 27, the traditional day of pre-holiday sales by retailers.
In-store signs began advertising the sales date recently, although Barnes & Noble didn't issue a press release announcing the actual date. When it announced the e-reader on Oct. 20, it only said sales would start in late November, meaning it will meet that commitment with no room to spare.
Barnes & Noble has 774 retail outlets and presumably will offer the Nook in all those stores. Even though the in-store signs say the device can be pre-ordered now online and in the store, a spokeswoman today said something slightly different -- that demo units and units for sale will begin shipping to stores on that date.
The Nook is 7.7 inches by 4.9 inches and is a half inch thick. It weighs 11.2 ounces. The gray-scale E-ink display is 6 inches across diagonally, with a separate 3.5-inch color display below that can be used to search for book titles and for other purposes with its touchscreen keyboard.
Barnes & Noble is comparing Nook to the Amazon.com Kindle 2, which is also $259. Kindle uses the Sprint Nextel Inc. wireless network for downloads of books, while Barnes & Noble will rely on AT&T and Wi-Fi. Most first releases and other popular books on both devices will sell for $9.95
Barnes & Noble customers will be able to actually hold the device Nov. 30, but can now pick up a pamphlet in stores that is cut to the size and shape of the Kindle. The pamphlet is printed on paper, ironically, a nod to the old-fashioned technology that e-readers someday could replace.
After its Nook announcement, Barnes & Noble on Oct. 27 said it would sell the QUE from Plastic Logic Inc. next year in its stores. That device is a larger e-reader focused on business professionals.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts