IDG News Service - Google is bulking up its phone offerings with the acquisition of Gizmo5, a company that offers voice-over-IP software for mobile phones and computers.
The companies did not reveal terms of the deal, which was announced Thursday following rumors earlier this week that the acquisition might happen.
In a blog posting about the deal, Google said that while current Gizmo5 users can continue to use the service, no new customers can sign up for now.
Very little information remains on the Gizmo5 Web page. The service is similar to Skype's in that it allows users to make low-cost or free calls using a software client on their computers. Gizmo5 also offers a client for mobile-phone users.
The acquisition follows Google’s purchase of Grand Central more than two years ago. Fans of that service began to worry it might die at Google since it took about two years for Google to begin accepting new customers for the service, now called Google Voice.
Google Voice offers users a variety of services including transcribed voicemails and low-cost calling. Users can also get a new phone number and use that same number on multiple phones.
The service has been the subject of some controversy. It is the subject of a U.S. Federal Communications Commission inquiry, launched as a result of complaints that Google blocks some calls.
Gizmo5 and Google Voice are already integrated; Google Voice customers can include a Gizmo5 account as one of their phones.
It is the fourth acquisition Google has announced this year. Earlier this week it said it would buy AdMob for $750 million.
- Top 12 Laptop Bags for Mobile Pros
- Think Deleted Text Messages Are Gone Forever? Think Again
- 7 New Faces of the C-suite
- 5 Ways CIOs Can Rationalize Application Portfolios
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts