Users call new Oracle support portal a 'fiasco'
IDG News Service - A number of Oracle users are infuriated by reported access and performance issues with the vendor's new My Oracle Support portal, which superseded the long-standing Metalink site on Nov. 6.
Oracle has been preparing users for the transition for months, through official blog posts and notifications. But even before the Nov. 6 switchover, many decried the new portal, citing factors such as its Flash interface, which rendered it unusable at client sites that restrict the use of Flash.
In a partial concession to those complaints, Oracle recently said it would include an HTML interface for the site. However, frustrated users this week said that both versions are plagued with difficulties.
"We've been having severe problems with the new My Oracle Support all day. Sometimes we can't log in. When we can log in, we can't get an SR [service request] logged -- it errors out at various points in the process," a user calling himself "Mike" said in a post Monday to an official Oracle forum.
The user called tech support, but found no resolution there, according to the post. "The lady I spoke with about 4:45 p.m. ET told me that currently My Oracle Support was not available. I told her I was in it navigating around as we were speaking. She told me log an SR about the problem I was having logging an SR!!! ... Looks to me like Oracle needs to turn Metalink back on until 'My Oracle Support' is ready for prime time."
Other users voiced similar sentiments Monday.
"It looks like a total disaster today. I've seen all possible errors in the world: Flash screen loading up to only 90%, extremely slow when it works, back button not working. ... Hard to believe for a company that sells things like high availability and real application testing," another forum post said.
Complaints also rolled in through the Oracle-L mailing list.
"I don't know how else to put this besides fiasco -- this is totally unacceptable for a company as large at Oracle," said one list contributor. "Metalink has been effectively down for 3 days now. I have patches to download, problems to research and service requests to update. My company spends millions of dollars a year alone for Oracle Support."
Site problems continued Tuesday, according to another forum poster. "Today's MOS error is 'Unable to communicate with server -- Server Timeout. And before you say it's my Internet connection -- it isn't."
Despite complaints from users, MOS is the new reality, if an official blog post on Monday by Oracle senior customer support manager Chris Warticki is any indication.
"If you've been off the grid, or totally out of the loop and completely clueless, Classic MetaLink retired on November 6th," he wrote. "Change is here. Get in front of this one...seriously."
But in comments on Warticki's post, users said they were having trouble even accessing the site.
"Currently get message account setup is still in progress. Please come back later. Since classic Metalink retired on November 6, this is 4 days ago, and no update from Oracle on progress! Excellent work (not) -- in keeping your customers informed."
An Oracle spokeswoman couldn't immediately provide a status update on the reported problems Tuesday.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts