IDG News Service - The European Commission has issued its formal "statement of objections" over Oracle's planned acquisition of Sun Microsystems, Sun said in a regulatory filing Monday.
The move is a procedural step in which the Commission lays out its preliminary views about how it thinks the merger might infringe Europe's competition laws. The filing of the statement was rumored last week to be imminent, and follows the Commission's decision in September to launch an in-depth investigation of Oracle's acquisition of Sun.
"The Statement of Objections sets out the Commission's preliminary assessment regarding, and is limited to, the combination of Sun's open source MySQL database product with Oracle's enterprise database products and its potential negative effects on competition in the market for database products," Sun said in its 8-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Oracle and Sun can now respond to the document by presenting arguments in response to the Commission's concerns.
The statement of objections, which was issued on Monday, is "a preparatory document that does not prejudge the European Commission's final decision," Sun said in the filing. It noted that any final decision can be appealed to the European Court of First Instance.
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts