IDG News Service - The European Commission has issued its formal "statement of objections" over Oracle's planned acquisition of Sun Microsystems, Sun said in a regulatory filing Monday.
The move is a procedural step in which the Commission lays out its preliminary views about how it thinks the merger might infringe Europe's competition laws. The filing of the statement was rumored last week to be imminent, and follows the Commission's decision in September to launch an in-depth investigation of Oracle's acquisition of Sun.
"The Statement of Objections sets out the Commission's preliminary assessment regarding, and is limited to, the combination of Sun's open source MySQL database product with Oracle's enterprise database products and its potential negative effects on competition in the market for database products," Sun said in its 8-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Oracle and Sun can now respond to the document by presenting arguments in response to the Commission's concerns.
The statement of objections, which was issued on Monday, is "a preparatory document that does not prejudge the European Commission's final decision," Sun said in the filing. It noted that any final decision can be appealed to the European Court of First Instance.
- Move Mission-Critical Apps to the Cloud with AWS and F5 Read this paper to learn about adoption inhibitors of the cloud, potential solutions, and how advanced Application Delivery Controller (ADC) technologies are critical...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- Store Everything. Analyze Anything, Build the Right Thing. The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts