Microsoft seeks to leverage midmarket ERP
IDG News Service - Microsoft can't boast the ERP (enterprise resource planning) application revenue earned by giants SAP and Oracle, nor equal their breadth of technological capabilities, but its tight focus on small and medium-sized businesses gives it an edge, according to observers and company officials..
While Microsoft does not release specific figures for its Dynamics ERP product line, annual revenues have been estimated at between US$1.1 billion and $1.2 billion, according to Ray Wang, a partner with the analyst firm Altimeter Group.
There is plenty of room for that number to grow, as midsized companies look to replace legacy systems or small ones seek out ERP applications as they grow larger in size.
"[The midmarket is] our sweet spot, and where our partners are geared up to sell," according to Phil Battersby, a director in ERP field marketing and management for Microsoft Dynamics EMEA. "We're not interested in the enterprise space. SAP and Oracle have been dominant in that part of the market for a long time."
Dynamics is sold exclusively through partners, who fine-tune and customize the products for specific industries, such as retail, manufacturing and services.
The partner-centric approach is crucial given the vast size of the SMB market and the fact that those customers typically like to deal with a local face, Wang said.
And those partners can help Microsoft reach out to ever more vertical markets -- an approach Battersby said will be important to its competitive success.
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- Forrester Report: The ROI of Software as a Service Read Forrester's review of 11 vendors in SaaS enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), and supply chain management (SCM).
- Whitepaper: Redefining Enterprise Software Whitepaper In this whitepaper you will learn what changes are impacting business and human capital management today and how the HR department and its...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All ERP White Papers | Webcasts