Google unveils e-commerce search tool in time for holidays
Search service for retail Web sites seen as a new Google move to the enterprise
Computerworld - Just in time for the holiday shopping season, Google Inc. today unveiled a new search engine service designed specifically for e-commerce sites.
The search company today released Google Commerce Search, which includes features like spell check, synonyms, sorting and parametric search, and is aimed to serve as the search engine on Web sites of retailers and other companies of all sizes.
"We're excited to bring Google Commerce Search to market in time for the holidays," said Dave Girouard, president of Google Enterprise, in a statement. "To date the technology powering retail website stores has not kept pace with innovation in search. Google Commerce Search will help customers find accurate results extremely fast, to the benefit of retailers and customers alike."
Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research, Inc., said it's a bit of an odd move for Google.
"Well, Google tries a lot of things, and has been trying to make its way in the enterprise with Google Apps, but this is aimed at a vertical -- ecommerce vendors," said Gottheil. "It does seem odd... It doesn't seem strategic to me."
Google's main search rival, Microsoft's new Bing engine, has been making online shopping one of its top focuses. And while some would see Google Commerce Search as a way to fend off Bing's e-commerce efforts, Google is going after the retailer, while Bing is going after the actual shopper.
"This may be an attempt to head off something they expect Microsoft to do," added Gottheil.
Jim Murphy, an analyst with AMR Research, said this could be beneficial to e-tailers since many of them are dissatisfied with their product search capability.
"My sense is that the very top retailers have solid search/e-commerce solutions, but there seems to be a lot of opportunity for mid-to-large retailers," he added. "I see it as a fledgling product. It might serve as a stop-gap solution for search-hungry retailers today, though proving it's worth it for this holiday season might be a challenge. But in Google's typical style, I'm sure it will improve quickly over a short period of time."
Birkenstock USA has started using Commerce Search on its retail site, according to Google.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!