Cisco, EMC, VMware get joint cloud-computing venture rolling in Asia
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems, EMC and VMware hope to soon sign the first Asian customers for their cloud-computing partnership and Acadia joint venture.
On Tuesday, the three companies announced a broad partnership, the Virtual Computing Environment (VCE) coalition, that will develop integrated cloud-computing products called Vblock Infrastructure Packages including servers, networking, storage and virtualization software for data centers. The partners also established a joint-venture company, Acadia, which will build, operate and then transfer data centers based on Vblock to customers.
"We have some number of customers that we've agreed on between the three companies and we're calling on them now. In fact, a few of them have already reached a handshake level with us and we believe they will become early adopters of Vblock and of this new entity that we're bringing out, called Acadia," said Steve Leonard, president of EMC Asia-Pacific and Japan, during a phone interview.
The three partners are counting on the combination of highly integrated products and Acadia, as a single entity that ties all three companies together, to win over Asian customers looking to replace their legacy data centers with a virtualized computing environments.
As with much of the overall partnership itself, specific details of how Acadia will operate or what its Asian operations will look like have yet to be determined. The companies are still searching for a CEO to head the venture, which is expected to employ 130 people worldwide when it's up and running.
Traditionally, the build, operate and transfer (BOT) model has been used as a way to finance the construction of large infrastructure projects, such as power stations and highways. Under the BOT model, suppliers finance and build a project and recoup their investment from cash flows generated by the completed project over an agreed period of time.
While Acadia's BOT services will offer financing for customers, the joint venture is also meant to meet customer demand for accountability when building complex systems that use products from different companies.
"We've found the feedback from customers has been overwhelmingly positive," said Andre Smit, managing director of data center sales at Cisco Asia-Pacific, saying the partnership between the three companies gives them "end-to-end vendor accountability."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts