Feature phones, which are less expensive and full-featured than smartphones such as Android and BlackBerry handsets, are about half the phones Sprint sells today and are making up a growing share, Brocket said.
Sprint also aims to add carrier billing for application purchases on all storefronts, including the Android, Windows Mobile, Palm and BlackBerry app stores.
This app store strategy will span all of Sprint's business units, including Nextel, Boost Mobile and its emerging WiMax network, Brocket said. On some networks, such as WiMax, it may be even more open, he said.
Some developers at the conference said they were already working in the iPhone arena and were exploring Sprint's various platforms for expansion.
Vinh Ton, director of product development at Vergence Entertainment, was encouraged by Sprint's goal of one-week application approval. Vergence is developing a casual game for the iPhone and also considering other mobile OSes. In addition to a quick path to market, Ton would like to see more ways of making an application stand out than a straight app-store popularity ranking by user ratings. Brocket's reference to marketing opportunities was encouraging, he said.
Another limitation of the mobile world is that it's hard for an application provider to get information from the carrier about the consumers who buy their products, Ton said. This type of information is a key tool in fine-tuning products and marketing for Web-based and desktop games, he said.
Sprint's story was not very promising on this point: Asked about this capability during his presentation, Brocket said Sprint may provide information about consumer preferences based on ratings or handset types but not demographic information, citing subscriber privacy.
"I don't think sharing full information about customers is something that we're going to be opening up any time soon, if ever," Brocket said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts